Saturday 25 October 2008

Secure Anonymous Web Proxy

Well on a slight digression from my normal electronic wafflings. An exciting topic on which I have managed to scare a mate and have an argument with my missus who now thinks I'm sort of Internet crook!

Ok so it's not obvious from my Title but anyway - my friend and I were talking about how people could monitor all yoru web browsing and emails. Something that I'm not impressed about - there is even a European directive that states that all this data must be stored for two years by the ISPs - yes that's right that fact that you visited the 'Jubbly Jugs Website' every day for six months is all neatly recorded on your internet transation logs.

The UK Government is actually going to go further and store all this information on a central database plus all your phone records - presumably so Gordon Brown can find out great web sites to visit. Anyway I digress - my missus thinks this is fine and
will help catch paedohiles and terrorists etc - well I'm not bloody fine about it !
To me having the state track every single move I make is not acceptable, it's Big Brother and I don't think the UK government in particular can be trusted to
a) look after this data
b) use it responsibly

Anyway my missus thinks I'm hiding something now !

And why did I scare my friend ? Well he shares my opinions on this and has done something about it - he uses a variety of anonymous proxies so that his whereabouts cannot be tracked. Which is fine apart from the list he is using - you see it is a very old hacker trick still well used today. You hack into a server, install a web proxy on it and then slowly add it to lists for secure anonymous web proxies.

Then lots of people start using this secure anonymous proxy to protect their identities. Unfortunately the nasty guys are actually logging all your data and transactions from that server so in fact you're handing all your information over directly over to the bad guys.

Free Secure Anonymous Proxy - unless you're very certain on it's origins and who controls that server I wouldn't go near them if I was you.

I pay a few Euros a month to completely encrypt all my data so Mr Brown can't see any of my traffic haha! The tool does loads of other stuff as well check it out.

Identity Cloaker

No comments:

Post a Comment